Old 26-05-2013, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Strawberries. A good year?

On Sun, 26 May 2013 12:02:03 GMT, Baz wrote:

I have some finger nail size, green ones on the south facing brick border.
This is their 3rd year. Should I dig them up and plant new ones in autumn,
or give it another year? They say that strawberries should be renewed every
3 years. So I am not sure.

Thanks
Baz

My approach is to remove all runners in years 1 and 2 then allow the
runners to develop in year 3. Following advice here, I wrap the
rooting end of the runners in moist moss which is then covered in cut
down little sandwich bags held on with rubber bands - they root
happily into that. Then I cut the new plantlets off and pot them into
3" pots, overwinter in the cold frame and plant out in the spring in
place of the old plants.

I grow in two tub tower contraptions so when planting the new ones
out, it's easy to replace the compost in the levels being replanted. I
use a mix of 5 parts John Innes no 3 to 1 part Perlite. I've got six
levels and two get replanted each year.

--
Cheers, Jake