Old 27-05-2013, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Strawberries. A good year?

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-05-26 13:02:03 +0100, Baz said:

I have some finger nail size, green ones on the south facing brick
border. This is their 3rd year. Should I dig them up and plant new
ones in autumn, or give it another year? They say that strawberries
should be renewed every 3 years. So I am not sure.

Thanks
Baz

Are you sure they're not fraise des bois? Those tiny woodland
strawberries that are so sweet and delicious? I knew someone who
always planted them here and there in a garden and when she was
weeding she'd enjoy snacking on them!

No, Sacha, they have been for 2 years lovely giant ones, as big as a small
hens egg some of them. I feed them with tomato feed. I wish I had kept the
labels so I don't know which variety they are. I know that I have 2
varieties, one which is almost heart shaped and the other is almost chisel
shaped. Both are soooo, soooo nice and sweet and tasty.
I train the runners/suckers into pots and plant them when rooted properly.

Baz