Old 28-05-2013, 02:21 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy[_2_] View Post

huh I grew one from seed and it was enormous, but dropped tiny weeny
purple fruit all over the grass and it ended up with a right mess and
drunk butterflies lolling all over the top of the water butts where the
fruit had squishes down.

Leaves come down very early and are huge roots grow near the top of the
grass surface, bits broke off regularly, hacked it down to about 5 foot
and now get easily a mass of 7 foot strong water shoots (I guess)
every year from all the ends of the stumps

Why do leaves change shape as a plant gets older like mulberry and ivy?

The older mulberry leaves are completely different to those it had when
younger, No they aren't sucker it was from a seed but definitely the
leaves changed shape
Your tree is a complete aberration;-) You've said the fruit is insipid, whereas black mulberry fruit is incredibly intense in flavour, it grows much faster, and my tree certainly doesn't lose bits (nor does the one in the local park) And it's not particularly early to lose its leaves.

Holly leaves are different shapes - the ones higher up tend to be less prickly - easy to see the logic there, as the higher ones are less in danger of animal grazing. Not easy to see the mulberry logic - it's not to do with allowing light through as it's the young leaves which are irregularly shaped. Whereas with courgettes it's the other way around - starts with simple leaves and later produces lobed ones.

Herbaceous plants do the same thing - leaves on the flowering stem are very often different from basal leaves.