Old 28-05-2013, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Maple tree leaf problems

DirtBag said:

Hi,

I've uploaded some images of some tree leaf problems I've got on two of
my maples. Before I call the arborist, might someone give me some
advice?

I've seen this before, but not all over the tree(s).

location, middle indiana.

http://tinyurl.com/os8l22b

http://tinyurl.com/pkoggm5

I think it is Maple anthracnose. Normally this is a minor problem. It can
weaken trees that are repeatedly and excessively defoliated.

The best bet might be to call an arborist and arrange for some canopy
thinning next year. If the infection is really extensive, they might also
suggest late winter/early spring preventative fungicide application(s).
(Fungicide treatment now would be pointless.)

Otherwise, the treatment is good hygiene (clean up and discard fallen
leaves--don't mulch or compost them) and maintaining an adequate water
supply during periods of drought.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...414anthracnose
maple.html
--