Old 28-05-2013, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default plants to cover arch

On 2013-05-27 22:42:20 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

What combination of plants could I suggest to someone who has a lovely
metal arch and would like fragrant flowers but more imprtantly as long
a period of interest as possible.
Quite sheltered garden facing south, neutral to alkeline soil

They aren't expert gardeners so good doers perhaps, but not rampant stuff.
Colour not important

I thought lonicera out because it so often gets infested, jasmine might
get unruly(though poss, stephanese) and doesn't take to pruning, maybe
clematis and roses or a trachleospermum, maybe even some annual
climbers like ipomea, eccromocarpus

Think whoever sold them their house took their plants with them as
there seems to be nothing in the ground apart from 3 very unpruned
young espaalier apple trees, a whole bed of chives, a pile of assorted
stones, three msierable roses planted about 5 feet aprt and a climber
outisde that looks very similar to clumbine but has reddish stems and
slightly more jagged leaves. Looks like it dies every eyar then grwos
on top of what died

How about Akebia quinata alba, Janet? It smells heavenly and flowers
over a long period though it needs two of the same species to
pollinate, so they could also grow the chocolate one! It could be
followed by a jasmine as you say or perhaps by Cobea scandens planted
annually? Rosa Gloire de Dijon is one of my personal favourites and so
is Mde. Isaac Pereire, though it's not remontant but has a fabulous
scent.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com