Old 28-05-2013, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mulberry tree

On 2013-05-27 17:03:48 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

On 27/05/2013 12:06, Sacha wrote:

Almost all trees are for the enjoyment of later generations. ;-) I'm
deeply thankful to whoever planted the cedar trees and copper beeches,
oaks and yews here!

I note that sycamore and ash didn't make the list! ;-)

Lol!! We do have them - quite a lot of the former thanks to it following
its own devices! ;-)

Well yes, but a large mature sycamore is really a fine and stately tree.
Requires a lot of room, though!

Couldn't agree more with your statement though, Sacha. I will never live
to see my aceretum mature, but it's nice to think that my children will.
And of course trees give us great pleasure when young, not to mention the
pruning and training.

Unfortunately the previous owners of the farm here were inclined to cut
down everything for firewood, including mature cherries and oaks. When
we bought the place the only mature trees were 3 great Tilia, left
because they're not much good in the stove! We've planted hundreds of
trees since. The owners had some other curious habits too, like caulking
windows with cement. I still run across these once in a while...

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy