Old 28-05-2013, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default cheapest way to protect fruit?

"postmaster @ stejonda" wrote ...

I've spent enough, (read too much), on gardening this year.

What's the cheapest way to protect fruiting trees on the allotment?

I assume you mean from birds in which case get some woven netting and throw
it over the trees, you can make a sort of cage with canes if you have them
which makes it easier to pick the fruit. Make sure you get enough to cover
the trees to the ground. However, we had nets over our cherry trees last
year and lost all the fruit anyway, from looking at the holes in the ground
it was mice, so this year it's nets against the birds and baffles on the
trunks to stop the mice climbing up.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.