Old 30-05-2013, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Habanero Help - Small Fruit

Stevie wrote:
Hi Guys,

It's that time of year again when this hapless chilli grower is
needing assistance.

I managed to over-winter my orange Habanero plants (x3) successfully
with only a mild prune needed in January. The plants are budding,
flowering and producing fruit now and other than my inability to keep
up with pollenating every flower they seem healty enough. I am getting
plenty of flower dropping but I am not overly concerned as they are
producing so many flowers it is unreal.

What I am a little concerned about is the fruit. They are ripening
very quickly and not getting anywhere near the size they should be.
Many are ripening when not much bigger than a pea with the largest
one only getting to raspberry size at best.

I am keeping them watered very few days if needed and using a chilli
focus feed every other water but I am clearly doing something wrong?

The plants are kept in my conservatory without any additional heating
but with the typical British weather the temperatures are all over the
place.

Can anyone advise on what I could do to yeild larger fruit?

Thanks,
Stevie

It's too cold, they think they are about to die so they make fruit and ripen
ASAP. You are going to much trouble for little result, it would be simpler
to grow them as annuals. I suppose it depends on whether you grow things
for the challenge or the product.

David