Old 30-05-2013, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default woodchuck humor

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
songbird said:

Ma said she'll put out the live-trap, but
then i reminded her that i finished off the
p-nut butter and we just used up the last
of the romaine lettuce and carrots too. i
wonder if they like bananas?

Their two most favorite things IME are apples and mulberry leaves.
One time the first sign that a groundhog had gotten past the fence
was the defoliation of the young ("bird planted") mulberries on the
garden side of the fenceline.

this one seems very insistent about whatever weeds
it's eating in that one garden. we came back from
shopping/errands yesterday and it was out there
nibbling. i tagged it solidly yesterday with a pellet
so now it has been warned several times. i'm hoping
that will be the end of it.

Last year the drought was so bad that the stunted babies were
driven out on their own earlier than normal. One was small
enough to push her way through some chain link into the veggie
garden. She ate so much edamame greenery that it wasn't able
to push her way back out. What's left of her is now a study skin.

oops, but probably very funny to see. kinda
like the snake trying to go through a small hole
after eating a chipmunk.

(My daughter the zoology student did a rather thorough disection
with measurements but decided not to turn that particular study
skin in for credit. All of the study skins and skull she did turn in
are now in the university collection--she does good work.)

i'm not sure what a study skin is, but it sounds
like something done to study anatomy of animals
along with taxidermy in some kind of pose?

songbird