Old 30-05-2013, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default coldest spring in 50 years

On Thu, 30 May 2013 19:04:33 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

Yes, was looking at a small (75cm) A. palmatum Beni Schishihenge (what
is the correct spelling?) this afternoon on an east-facing fence. One

Close! Beni shichihenge. The trend now (haven't really adopted it) is to
add the hyphen, making Beni-shichihenge. Your spelling is listed as a
common variant in the texts. It means "red and changeful" apparently.

branch covered in wilted, black-edged leaves. Rest of the plant is ok
at the moment. Yet a much larger (2m) Shindeshojo has been superb,
without a single damaged leaf. It is a couple of metres from a
south-facing wall, on a raised bed. So I reckon you are spot on - not
enough sun. Mind you, if and when the sun does come out, I'll have to
keep the Shindeshojo well-watered.

I have a Shin chishio, which is very similar (but maybe not quite as
bright) as Shin deshojo. I bought one of these and it turned out to be a
simple Deshojo, and it is nothing particularly special in spring. The
snails really love Shin chishio, they completely denuded it last year.

You might want to treat with a fungicide, the black leaves can be serious
for a small plant.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy