Old 30-05-2013, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default coldest spring in 50 years

On 30/05/2013 19:04, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 30/05/2013 14:36, Emery Davis wrote:

Many plants have wilty vegetation, there hasn't been enough sun and
warmth to justify fanning out leaves. Some of the Japanese maples, that
have been out for 5 weeks, still look like only a few days have passed
since leaf out. What's more, a lot of leaves are getting black around
the edges (too much water, not enough sun) or wilting back, and many
seedlings have damped off.

Yes, was looking at a small (75cm) A. palmatum Beni Schishihenge (what
is the correct spelling?) this afternoon on an east-facing fence. One
branch covered in wilted, black-edged leaves. Rest of the plant is ok
at the moment. Yet a much larger (2m) Shindeshojo has been superb,
without a single damaged leaf. It is a couple of metres from a
south-facing wall, on a raised bed. So I reckon you are spot on - not
enough sun. Mind you, if and when the sun does come out, I'll have to
keep the Shindeshojo well-watered.

Roll on summer...

Just some prolonged sunshine would do. I'm waiting for the first
scientific paper to report on a plant suffering from SAD...

But they do, Singed And Dying