Old 31-05-2013, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Peppers, Epsom Salt

"Billy" wrote
Being reclaimed forest, you may have acidic conditions. Turning the soil
the next couple of years to incorporate organic material, and to deepen
the growing zone (top 2 ft.) will let some of the CO2 blow off, raising
the pH. Then I suggest you go to no till. Joel Salatin says that 12
worms/ sq. ft. will give you 3" of soil per year. Organic material (5%
by weight, or 10% by volume) will encourage the worms.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Shades of Ruth Stout ! Actually , Billy , what you suggest is my basic
plan . This fall I'll be tilling some straw or hay in , followed by more
manure/compost before planting next spring . Every pass with the tiller gets
more rocks up and deepens the loosened soil a little . Light supplemental
feedings with 3/13 only if necessary . Since the ground has a slope , as I
till I'll be terracing this area .
We got between 4 and 6 inches of rain last night , looks like more of the
same tonight/tomorrow . That terracing thing helped a lot , only had a
couple of minor washouts and the county road into our place was washed out
in 5 places this morning ... .
--
Snag
Bet that 13/13/13