Old 01-06-2013, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default woodchuck humor

On 5/31/2013 11:04 AM, Derald wrote:
Frank wrote:

I'd tag it with a .22 or catch and release. Pellets can penetrate and
animal could suffer.

Same here, except that I'd catch and club and save a little money
on bullets: .177, even .22, pellets often simply penetrate, creating the
high liklihood of infection, possibly serious internal injury and a slow
death for the varmint. Catch and release only works in the movies or in
remote areas; the reality is that one simply is passing the pestilence
on to someone else. Thank goodness we don't have those things down here;
at least I've never heard of it or seen one. ...but, then, I've never
seen a pocket gopher, either, but I'm sure that we have them.

Local laws vary. Here in Delaware you can catch and kill but not
release. I do anyway in parks area.

I once bagged a nice buck and took the head to a friend that was an
amateur taxidermist to mount. We caped it out and found buck shot and
bird shot in its neck.