Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Peppers, Epsom Salt

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

"Billy" wrote
Being reclaimed forest, you may have acidic conditions. Turning the
soil
the next couple of years to incorporate organic material, and to deepen
the growing zone (top 2 ft.) will let some of the CO2 blow off, raising
the pH. Then I suggest you go to no till. Joel Salatin says that 12
worms/ sq. ft. will give you 3" of soil per year. Organic material (5%
by weight, or 10% by volume) will encourage the worms.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Shades of Ruth Stout ! Actually , Billy , what you suggest is my basic
plan . This fall I'll be tilling some straw or hay in , followed by more
manure/compost before planting next spring . Every pass with the tiller
gets
more rocks up and deepens the loosened soil a little . Light
supplemental
feedings with 3/13 only if necessary . Since the ground has a slope , as
till I'll be terracing this area .
We got between 4 and 6 inches of rain last night , looks like more of
the
same tonight/tomorrow . That terracing thing helped a lot , only had a
couple of minor washouts and the county road into our place was washed
out
in 5 places this morning ... .
--
Snag
Bet that 13/13/13

Clay may have held on to part of it, but that is part of the beauty of
organic fertilizers, they are more likely to stay put.
--

Every hole/hill I planted a seed or start in was a 50/50 mix of soil and
manure/compost . The row stuff all got a side dressing of same m/c on the