Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default planting stick

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

what type of beans you plant this season?

Snap beans. One entire bed of "Provider", a variety recommended to
me some time back by a r.g.e denizen; a half bed of "Delinel", among my
favorites but with which I've had lousy results for the past few
seasons. If I can find space, a smattering of "Tenderette", a new-to-me
variety that am trying just for grins.

let me know how they turn out. i'm always
interested in bean/pea/peapod tales.

i have some pics of seedlings that i have to
edit/post. decided i would do a sprout group
as they are very fun/cute/interesting, but i'm
not in that mood tonight so...

Good idea. It could be an identifier for new gardeners.

that is part of the reason for doing it, plus
the cuteness/artistic aspects. i hope one of my
shots of a turnip seedling turns out as there
was an ant carrying a dandelion seed (including
the bit of fluff/fuzz) going by. the next rainy
day that project is top of the list.

I still
remember the time that I pulled most of my carrot seedlings before
realizing they weren't weeds! Mostly, though, I remember the grief
poured upon me by neighbors....

oh, wow, good one, i could get shots of
queen-anne's-lace which should be close
enough for carrot family...

probably the best tulip year i've ever had in
terms of quality/disease pressures/weather/bloom
length. which seems rather strange in comparison
to how the crocuses did. you'd think that the
tulips would do better with a little cooler
weather too, but in the end it was the mostly
lack of rain and few frosts that helped them the
most.

Been many years since I saw tulips in a garden. Down here, they
require refrigeration and most folks don't fool with them. Except for
shepherding migratory wildflowers, I, of course, don't "grow" anything I
can't eat!

tulips are marginally edible for most people
(a wimpy onion taste), i'd not eat them here as
it's much easier to grow onions/garlic anyways.
tulip bulbs i can often gift or trade for other
plants. the other aspect i like them for is
they are heavy pollen producers (the sticky
pollen that doesn't float around nearly as
much as some other pollens) and the bumblebees
and other bees are quite fun to watch harvesting
from them.

many wildflowers are not common here. almost
all borders of farm fields are sprayed or mowed to
kill them off or keep them from blooming. even
some of the rare and endangered flowers get hit by
careless operators.

Oh: I found a snapshot of the Tampa Bay area's only "real" snowfall
in my lifetime, so far: 1977. It wasn't much and the cover didn't last
for very long after sunrise.

you're sick.

...but that's a constant; one adapts.

we consider it a part of the entertainment...
yesterday and today's funny phrases: "Christmas
bacon" and "crapass".

Hey, I didn't say I _liked_
the stuff! I didn't even take the snapshot -- just found it among my
dead dad's stuff; presumably, he took the photo.

ok, i won't torture you with snow pictures...
at least not for the near future.

songbird