Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Id please

On 2013-05-31 22:26:13 +0100, Spider said:

On 31/05/2013 21:28, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/31/2013 2:32 PM, Emery Davis wrote:
On Fri, 31 May 2013 19:38:50 +0200, Willi wrote:
Columbines. (Aquilegia) The wild ones grow in the woods. So
semi-shade
would be fine, I guess.

Grows well even in deep shade IME.

Mine grow in deep shade, semi-shade, full sun, in cracks in the tarmac,
between paving stones...

As do mine. They're glorious wherever they grow. Bees love them. If
you dead-head them, you get a longer flowering season; if you don't,
they seed themselves around. I do a bit of both, depending which
plants I wish to promote.

They happily seed themselves all over but I do shake the dry seed heads
when I remember. We have some currently growing in a container on top of
a pillar. We certainly didn't put them there!

It seems that all aquilegias look good whereever they seed themselves,
perhaps because they're so dainty and have a natural appeal.

I can keenly recommend sowing seed of some of the yellow long-spurred
ones. They have a special beauty, in or out of shade. I'm growing as
many as I can - not least because my neighbours and friends have fallen
in love with them.

Disappointed that those I bought yesterday were well and truly pot bound
(hence a quid each for a 6" pot size I guess). I decided to saw the root
balls into 4 sections and soak them for a couple of hours. A gamble
given they apparently don't like division, but I will definitely replace
them if they don't survive.