Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
DirtBag DirtBag is offline

Default Maple tree leaf problems

Pat Kiewicz said

DirtBag said:

Hi,

I've uploaded some images of some tree leaf problems I've got on two
of my maples. Before I call the arborist, might someone give me some
advice?

I've seen this before, but not all over the tree(s).

location, middle indiana.

http://tinyurl.com/os8l22b

http://tinyurl.com/pkoggm5

I think it is Maple anthracnose. Normally this is a minor problem.
It can weaken trees that are repeatedly and excessively defoliated.

The best bet might be to call an arborist and arrange for some canopy
thinning next year. If the infection is really extensive, they might
also suggest late winter/early spring preventative fungicide
application(s). (Fungicide treatment now would be pointless.)

Otherwise, the treatment is good hygiene (clean up and discard fallen
leaves--don't mulch or compost them) and maintaining an adequate
water supply during periods of drought.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...414anthracnose
maple.html

Thanks, our arborist confirmed your suspicion. He was not really
concerned - focusing on removal of the dead leaves. I guess this year no
leaves for mulching. I have two such Maples - in both front and back
yards - so keeping them all (healthy/sick) separate is not possible.
Sad, I really like mulching the leaves.