Old 03-06-2013, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Strange pigeon behaviour

On 2013-06-02 16:51:07 +0100, Bill Grey said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Does anyone know why wood pigeons lie down in the grass on our lawn?
We've seen several of them do it but can't say we've noticed it
particularly before this year. It doesn't seem to matter whether the
grass has just been cut or not, nor whether it's rained or is dry.
They're alone when they do it and often remain stationary for several
minutes. We haven't noticed that the collared doves do it, only the
wood pigeons, it seems.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Have a look at:-
http://thenaturephile.com/tag/wood-pigeon/

then scroll down quite a way untill you come to a photo of a pigeon
doing just what you say. I couldn't see a reason for the behaviour
though.

Bill

This sounds very similar behaviour though I couldn't see any wings
extended. Having said that, in those photos, the wings seem kind of
'dropped' not fully extended, so perhaps we wouldn't have seen that
from our bedroom window and at a distance. The sun wasn't particularly
warm when they were doing this and in fact the last we saw was partly
in the shade of a tree. But it may be that they are warming up after
cold nights. Lately, the nights have been pretty warm and we haven't
observed any pigeons doing this! Thanks, Bill.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com