Old 04-06-2013, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Peppers, Epsom Salt

Natural (Smoking Gun) Girl wrote:
Natural Girl wrote:
wrote:

Everything is fertilized with 10 10 10. The peppers (bell) do not
have very thick walls and I thought I had read that this would
help. There is a lot of irrigation to the garden, so am I wasting
my time and effort? The burning issue concerns me too. Would early
morning be enough to combat that?
MJ

I've been mixing up in a spray bottle 2T of molasses, 2T organic
liquid seaweed fertizer, and about 1T+/- of Epsom Salts pre-disolved
in warm water added to this mixture... then I fill the bottle with
rain water or tap water if I have no rain water. I've been spraying
that mixture 1 time a week on everything that I have planted. Cukes,
tomatoes of various types, melons, jalopeno peppers, and
habanero's. I did the same thing with my peas, but it burned a few
pea leaves. I ended up pulling up my peas anyway because they
didn't like where I planted them and I replaced them with pole
limas that have broken ground over the weekend. Everything else I
sprayed that mixure on is growing like crazy and my peppers have
nice big blooms on them now. I even sprayed it on a kumquat tree
that I overwintered indoors and had just put outside. It was dropping
leaves and a couple branches
died back, but now even my kumquat is growing like a weed!
This is the first time I've opted for mixing this combo of organic
fertizers and hand spraying them every week, so it's an experiment
for me this year, but seems to be working out so far.

there are other solutions that don't require spraying every week.

I'm all ears! er .. eyes!

I didn't mean solutions as in solute plus solvent I meant ways of keeping
your plants healthy.

Foliar feeding is handy if you want to provide a quick boost or if you want
to diagnose a deficiency. For example, you can apply a differerent mineral
solution to each of a set of plants and see the outcome of each quite soon.
But the effect doesn't last long. This is because the plant absorbs via the
leaves and into the vascular system but if there is no more liquid spray
(probably a few hours after application) it has to stop. The overspray
will drip into the soil and be absorbed by the roots as well but being
soluble much will leached out when you water unless your soil has good
binding capacity.

If you make your soil healthy with the right minerals, organic matter and
microbes and you won't need foliar feeding.