Old 03-06-2013, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RustyHinge RustyHinge is offline

Default Slugs - Phosphor Bronze

On 23/05/13 10:00, Darkside wrote:
In article , Judith in
England writes

Does anyone use copper as a slug deterrent and do you think it makes any
difference?

A friend bought some to experiment. He has two pots with box topiary
where slugs and snails like to shelter: he puts slug pellets on top of
the compost and usually finds plenty of dead gastropods.
With one strip of shiny copper tape around each pot he gets no dead
slugs or snails at all so he deduced that the tape keeps them out.

I told him he should've taped one pot and kept the other as a control:
he blew a raspberry at me and put the kettle on.

All the speculation as to how it works is just that: speculation (with
maybe a smidge of quantum fruitloopery). It's interesting that it
doesn't seem to work consistently. If I could get some I'd try
different species of gastropod in different conditions.

Whelks?

Now, where can I get lily beetle tape?

The stationer. Double-sided sticky tape will catch them all - and
everything else.

--
Rusty Hinge