Old 03-06-2013, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RustyHinge RustyHinge is offline

Default Wild Mushrooms

On 23/05/13 11:27, Tom Gardner wrote:

Personal experiences...

False Chantarelle (Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca) is usually marked
as poisonous and/or inedible. However as it wasn't marked that
way in the early 70s, I've eaten lots with the only result being
that I had a delicious meal. Location: Headly Heath, North Downs,
under bracken.

It *can* be hallucigenic to some people: others eat them with no (ill)
effect.

Shaggy Parasol ((Macro)Lepiota racodes) is often marked as edible.
I've eaten it and found it delicious. On a different occasion,
however, it caused my entire alimentary canal to rebel - maybe
it is significant that it was growing under laurel.

Shouldn't think the laurel had anything to do with it - I have eaten
many M. rhacodes from beneath laurel.

M. procera looks very similar, but M. rhacodes (allegedly) is poisonous
to a small proportion of humanity.

I can eat the yellow-staining mushrooms with no ill effect - but I leave
them alone, as I have some evidence that their effect can be cumulative.

Talking of which, if you are using an old guide (or one written by
Lange), Paxillus involutus (brown roll-rim) is cumulatively deadly.

Conclusion: wild food is indeed wild.

Especially when you've just shot it.

--
Rusty Hinge