Old 03-06-2013, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wild Mushrooms

RustyHinge wrote:
On 23/05/13 11:27, Tom Gardner wrote:

Personal experiences...

False Chantarelle (Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca) is usually marked
as poisonous and/or inedible. However as it wasn't marked that
way in the early 70s, I've eaten lots with the only result being
that I had a delicious meal. Location: Headly Heath, North Downs,
under bracken.

It *can* be hallucigenic to some people: others eat them with no (ill) effect.

Don't remember seeing that, and can't be bothered to excavate my books!

Shaggy Parasol ((Macro)Lepiota racodes) is often marked as edible.
I've eaten it and found it delicious. On a different occasion,
however, it caused my entire alimentary canal to rebel - maybe
it is significant that it was growing under laurel.

Shouldn't think the laurel had anything to do with it - I have eaten many M. rhacodes from beneath laurel.

It was also near a Leylandii, but who knows what the problem's source was!

M. procera looks very similar, but M. rhacodes (allegedly) is poisonous to a small proportion of humanity.

I definitely identified it as M. rhacodes not M. procera,
but I can't remember why.

I can eat the yellow-staining mushrooms with no ill effect - but I leave them alone, as I have some evidence that their effect can be cumulative.

Talking of which, if you are using an old guide (or one written by Lange), Paxillus involutus (brown roll-rim) is cumulatively deadly.

Conclusion: wild food is indeed wild.

Especially when you've just shot it.

I thought that made them livid, or is that only Gorilla gorilla?