Old 03-06-2013, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wild Mushrooms

RustyHinge wrote:
On 23/05/13 09:56, Tom Gardner wrote:
Pam Moore wrote:
On Tue, 14 May 2013 17:02:14 +0200, Granity
wrote:

Nice set of pictures here

'10 poisonous mushrooms to watch out for in Britain - Telegraph'
(http://tinyurl.com/cb6wzlr)

Useful site, good pictures. Thank you.

A much more useful site is
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

The photos are good (multiple specimens, cross sections etc),
he has good identification tools, clearly identifies poisonous
species and has good general advice.

However:
- his photos in his books are better; they are the
default standard for amateur mycologists

- it is unwise to rely on any single source of photos,
pen portraits, keys etc

Not got the bandwidth here (GPRS dongle) to go looking at websites - I take it that's Roger Phillips?

Yup. It is a very sensible intro to his books: the pictures are
large enough to be useful but small enough that they make you
want to get the book! It also has info not in the books.

Back in the '70s the curator of the Dept. of Mycology in the British Museum of Natural History advised be to get Roger Phillips' 'Mushrooma and Other Fungi of Great Britain and Europe'

I still use it a lot.

Mine is the 1981 Pan edition, text copyright Phillips 1981,
no mention of other printings. I strongly suspect it is a
first edition of the Pan paperback, since ISTR remember getting
it as soon as it appeared

I'll normally take Philips plus one or two others when I go foraging.