Old 04-06-2013, 12:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wild Mushrooms

RustyHinge wrote:
On 23/05/13 13:12, Adam Funk wrote:

Are any of the non-deadly poisonous ones things that anyone would
actually want to eat, though? (For taste, I mean --- hallucinogenic
ones are of course a different kettle of fish.) AIUI, mushrooms are
generally divided into (1) tasty & safe, (2) dangerous, & (3) neither
--- with the majority falling in the 3rd group.

Many aren't worth bothering about, except as a curiosity.

St George's mushroom, Tricholoma gambosum.

Yum.

Lactarius deliciosus.

Yum.

Macrolepiota procera, parasolmushroom, but be cautious with M. rhacodes, shaggy parasol.

Procera yum; rhacodes splat (qv).

'Cauliflower fungus', Sperassis crispa.

Haven't found one in decades

Fistulina hepatica, beefsteak fungus.

Ugh, nasty, bitter.

Coprinus comatus, shaggy ink cap, lawyer's wig

Always turned to a watery mush for me

Merasmius oreades, fairy ring champignon - useful, as it dries, and rehydrates like new.

Careful; too many similar "LBJs", some nasty e.g. poison pie.

Armillaria mellea, honey fungus, pickles well, otherwise falls into the third group.

Lycoperdon species and Calvatia species. Giant puffballs may be sliced to the thickness of a goodly slice of bread and fried. (Try butter!) To make it into a real treat, fry the slices in butter, whip
them out of the pan when they are good and brown, then dip them in batter and sling them back into the pan...

Yum.

I also had a particularly delicious "chicken of the woods"
Laetiporus sulphureus, caught between the lion and tiger
enclosures at Longleat. No I didn't get out; a nearby warden
obliged!

Jew's ear (sorry forget the modern PC name) Auricularia auricula-judae
is great in soups/stews, for the texture.