Old 04-06-2013, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slugs - Phosphor Bronze

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 22:55:35 +0100, RustyHinge wrote:

I doubt very much that the draught excluder strip is phosphor bronze,
which is a bearing material.

Also known as "Atomic Strip" still available and the ads say it's
pure copper. However the old stuff that I have (somewhere) is very
springy, far more than copper from a bit of tube or hot water
cylinder. I guess it might be cold rolled to harden it but wouldn't
that also make it brittle?

Certainly the stuff I have, which is probably in the order of 50
years or more old hasn't tarnished like copper does in air. It's not
bright but it still has a bit of a shine not the matt dark brown that
copper goes in dry air. I'd say mine at least is a copper alloy of
some sort, Phosphor Bronze is what my Dad called it. Beryllium Copper
is also springy and hard but beryllium is toxic and I suspect more
expensive than tin...

--
Cheers
Dave.