Old 04-06-2013, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default That looks cheap!

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:47:35 +0100, damduck-egg wrote:

On 2 Jun 2013 17:58:42 GMT, "David.WE.Roberts"
wrote:

Just to note in passing :-)

Our back garden is due to transition from grass to hard landscaping
sometime in the next 12 months or so.

Therefore no incentive to prepare borders for flowers and vegetables.

I've had my eye on some 'raised bed' plastic bags sold in various
places,
and saw some - roughly 1m by 1m - for sale 2 for £5 in a local shop.

Well, for £10 I would get four raised beds which would do this year and
then could be taken down in the winter or whenever we start the
transformation.

As you noted the bags are about the cheapest part of the exercise , but
a free alternative can be the bags that builders materials are delivered
in. They are often designated one use for safety reasons after craning
them off delivery vehicles so many can be found around builders sites
ready to be dumped and free for the asking. For raised bed use you need
to roll the sides down ,as they come they make excellent bags for garden
rubbish ,compost and making leaf mould in.
G.Harman

We have more builders bags than you can shake several sticks at, but the
base area is smaller and there is an awful lot of side to roll down to get
a low bed.

So in this case at £2.50 a pop the purpose made ones seem a better bet.

Cheers

Dave R