Old 25-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Beecrofter

Default Advice for young cherry tree

Luca wrote in message . ..
I have planted a little cherry about a month ago. The tree seems
healthy, only in the last couple of days I noticed several tiny
(4-6mm) green caterpillars (if that is what they are), happily chewing
away some of the new leaves. Some even smaller black spots /dots are
always very close to the area that is being eaten.
These worms seem to like being snug either in a new leaf that still
has to unfold, or in between two adjacent leaves stuck together.
So far the damage to the tree is very small, however, like they say,
better safe than sorry. :-)

TIA,
Luca
zone 6b

How much defoliation are you seeing?
Why not just pinch the worms you see.
Soon the wasps and birds will find the ones you have missed.
I doubt it will take more than 5 minutes twice a week.

Or you could go the other route and kill everything that moves.
Buy pesticides in quantities you will never need.