Old 04-06-2013, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Peppers, Epsom Salt

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:
If you're lazy like me, you'll just put out a bird feeder, and a bird
bath. It might be just coincidental that i've never had problems with
bugs.

we have birdbaths but no feeding as then the
birds have to forage. we grow plenty of seed
sources and bugs are all about. i'll continue
to try to train the birds this year to eat
japanese beetles and other bugs that they don't
seem to be picking up on (rhubarb bugs and the
stink bugs). except i've yet to find a stink
bug on any plants... dunno where they hang out
other than in the house when it gets cooler.

songbird

My black oil sunflower seed feeder is for small birds (mostly
chickadees, chookadees?). They can be extremely fussy about what they
eat, and may toss away as many as 20 seeds before finding one that is
just right for them. Some seeds fall to the ground, and larger birds
come to take advantage of the free food. Large, and small, I then see
them scratching up the yard. Salatin mentioned in "Salad Bar Beef" that
birds will venture about 200 ft. from cover to find food.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.