Old 05-06-2013, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default woodchuck humor

Frank wrote:
I've sealed any opening I could find but still catch a few mice per year
in traps in the house. No need to refresh peanut butter bait as they
still go for it when old and rancid.

yeah, they can still smell it even when
it's down to almost nothing and still poke
their noses in.

I put poison bait in the attic.
Discovered poison in the house is a bad idea when one died leaving a
faint aroma in the basement for weeks.

i dislike poisons too for much the same reason.
plus i hate the idea that a snake or other creature
might catch a poisoned mouse and then be affected.
just seems better to snap trap them if i have to.
we've used bait stations and poison blocks to
keep the population down in the past, but the
raccoons discovered a taste for them and would
get the bait stations opened. even after we'd
pile large rocks around and on top of the bait
stations they'd still figure out a way to lever
the rocks away and raid the bait stations. so
i've not wanted to put any more out. it just
seems so pointless. mice are all over, killing
a few here or there isn't going to get rid of
them, instead it just means more will come in
from the fields all around us. i much prefer
encouraging owls, snakes, etc. to come feast.
the limestone mulch gives an owl a clear contrast
to catch a skittering mouse...

songbird