Old 04-06-2013, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] is offline

Default Please tell me this isn't giant ground elder

On 04/06/2013 18:54, Blenny wrote:
RustyHinge;984582 Wrote:
On 04/06/13 08:52, Charlie Pridham wrote:-

"RustyHinge" wrote in message
...-
On 30/05/13 21:35, Blenny wrote:-
kay;984303 Wrote:
It looks like hogweed, which is not a problem. If it carries on
growing
till it is taller than you, it may be giant hogweed, which can cause
skin rashes.

Thanks Kay. I'll leave it alone for the moment then.-

If it *is* hogweed (not the giant variety) the very young shoots make
a good vegetable.-

Ordinary hogweed also causes skin rashes if you get the sap on you
then
allow sunlight to get to it.-

I used to collect it by the barrowload for my host of wabbits. I don't
know how many gallons of sap I must have had flow over my hands with no

ill effect.

--
Rusty Hinge

I've handled the leaves without ill effect - but think I'll proceed with
caution. Cooking it sounds tempting though!

You want to be 110% certain of the identity, particularly with
umbellifers, which contain some rather toxic plants.

Stewart Robert Hinsley