Old 04-06-2013, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Taking cutting of alder

In message
"Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 May 2013 16:35:24 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

On 26/05/2013 09:24, Michael Bell wrote:
Thank you very much. It's good to see that I am not too late for this.
At least it identifies the rooting powder so that I can get the same.
In my local garden shop I looked at one product and its label, claimed
to be wonderful, also claiming to be "all natural materials, no
artificial chemicals". In other words Homeopathy!

"all natural materials, no artifical chemicals" does not necessarily
equate to homeopathy.

Homeopathy is pure water with a memory.

It might mean that it contains plant hormones
found in nature rather than similar chemicals not found in nature. It
might further mean that the plant hormones are extracted from plants,
rather than synthesised.

It might mean snake oil.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

I do so wish that Michael will not be encouraged too much in his search for
alders that will feed the planet "if I can find one with big seeds"

I have found alder seeds which are close to the size of rice grains. I
am now looking for bigger. It will be a starch belly-filler like
wheat, potatoes or rice.

Or maybe I am totally wrong and that's the way to go.

This country has been unable to feed itself since the repeal of the
Corn Laws in 1846. 40% of this country's land is "upland", unable to
grow cereals.

People help me because they have the knowledge and want to give it to
somebody who needs it. What possible harm do you think I might do? If
it doesn't work out (and it is a difficult project) then there is no
outcome, but if it does work out, what harm?

"Treason never does prosper, why what's the reason.
If treason does prosper, none dare call it treason."

Nobody backs a lost cause.

Michael Bell