Old 05-06-2013, 03:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default First lawn, first post. In need of advice....

TeaBag wrote:
[_2_ Wrote:
;983851']

That's a bad strategy. What's the point to killing weeds now
and turning over the soil so that new weeds will grow all
summer? I don't think anyone here ever told you to do that.

No, they didn't. The reason is to let the soil settle. At the moment
we have just stones, soil and weeds. So turning it over, levelling it
and letting more weeds grow would actually be an improvement. I know
more weeds will grow, my reason for killing these is because the
whole area is thick with weeds that have had years to establish
before we built our house. It just means removing less weeds later
(ones that aren't as well established and deeply rooted) before
laying turf. It's just saving a bit of time later so the majority of
the hard work is done (levelling). I understand that some might
advise kiling all the weeds at once.

I did have good results once ridding an area of weeds by rototilling them under,
then rototilling again a few more times during the summer to turn under any
weeds that sprouted, before they went to seed. If you have a tiller, you could
try this.

Billy would tell you that tilling destroys the "soil structure", so take that
into consideration.