Old 05-06-2013, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Taking cutting of alder

On 05/06/2013 10:02, wrote:
In article ,
Michael Bell wrote:
In message
"Christina Websell"
wrote:

I do so wish that Michael will not be encouraged too much in his search for
alders that will feed the planet "if I can find one with big seeds"

I have found alder seeds which are close to the size of rice grains. I
am now looking for bigger. It will be a starch belly-filler like
wheat, potatoes or rice.

I find people's attitude to you bizarre. While you may be a nutter,
and this project doomed to failure, it is not obviously a stupid
idea - and history is full of nutters pursuing hopeless projects
who later became recognised as great innovators!

Why the hell not? Bully for you. And the best of British!

Or maybe I am totally wrong and that's the way to go.

This country has been unable to feed itself since the repeal of the
Corn Laws in 1846. 40% of this country's land is "upland", unable to
grow cereals.

Yes. And, to Janet, most upland in the UK is fairly low-lying
(alder reaches 1600 feet), and includes a lot of damp areas.

Even just as a stock-feed, something that would grow in those
conditions has potential as winter feed for grazing animals, with
negligible transport costs. If it were not for the supermarkets
and their poodlefaking politicians, plus the obscene collaboration
between the bureaucrats and the nastier end of the food-processing
industry (think the creation of CJD and elimination of all small
abbatoirs), the UK could produce a lot more of its own meat.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

+1