Old 05-06-2013, 05:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default First lawn, first post. In need of advice....

On Jun 5, 3:10*am, TeaBag wrote:
[_2_ Wrote:

;983851']

That's a bad strategy. *What's the point to killing weeds now
and turning over the soil so that new weeds will grow all
summer? *I don't think anyone here ever told you to do that.

No, they didn't. The reason is to let the soil settle. At the moment we
have just stones, soil and weeds. So turning it over, levelling it and
letting more weeds grow would actually be an improvement. I know more
weeds will grow, my reason for killing these is because the whole area
is thick with weeds that have had years to establish before we built our
house. It just means removing less weeds later (ones that aren't as well
established and deeply rooted) before laying turf.

Removing weeds multiple times over months prior to putting down
turf is just more work. But whatever floats your boat.

It's just saving a
bit of time later

Spending 10 hours over months to make 2 hours less work later doesn't
compute for me.

so the majority of the hard work is done (levelling).
I understand that some might advise kiling all the weeds at once.

--
TeaBag