Old 06-06-2013, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Sinister looking new vine in my yard

On 6/5/13 11:29 AM, wrote:
I found this in the thicket above my porch. The place is home to lots of birds, so I suppose they transported it here. Is it time to get out the flamethrower?

https://plus.google.com/photos/11180...20312975048591

Thanks in advance

Bob

Definitely English ivy (Hedera helix). This can become quite rampant
and invasive unless it is a dwarf variety (e.g., H. helix 'Hahn's').

I have it growing on my hill in back to stabilize the soil and prevent
erosion. It is mixed with African daisies (Osteospermum fruticosum).
The county advised me against planting only one or the other because
their root grow to a certain depth and form a mat, which could
destabilize the hill. Combining the two, however, works because their
roots go to different depths. At the bottom of the hill is a low slough
wall; I trim both the ivy and daisies from growing over the wall and
into the rose bed below.

I have H. helix 'Hahn's' growing on my mailbox and around my liquidambar
tree (L. styraciflua), both in front. Although this is a dwarf variety,
I still have to trim the mail box about 3-4 times a year and the bed
around the liquidambar 1-2 times a year.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see