Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default New turf going thin

jonnystuartuk wrote:
Morning all this is my fist post so be gentle with me. I searched the
forum but not managed to find an answer to my query.

I laid some new turn at the front of my house around 5 weeks ago. The
turf was abolutely perfect I prepped the ground perfectly.

The week after laying the turf was a sunny week, I was watering it in
the morning and at night and the roots were going down well after the
first week.

Following that week it rained heavy all week and the grass grew
rapidly. I then gave the lawn a cut on the highest setting of the
mower however it still took a good chunk off as it had grown a lot
without me being able to cut it.

I have gradually started lowering the cut over the last 2 weeks
however the turf seems to be going thin and I think slightly yellow
in places.

My last cut was last night and I raised the cut from the last time I
mowed. I also gave it a good water as its been sunny. I have
attached a few images but I'm afraid they aren't great.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have read that a light fertiliser
may help?

It seems a little early to need fertilizer. If you do, definately make it a
light application.

You should be tapering off on the watering. Ideally, you want to end up watering
heavily about once a week so the water gets deep. Watering too ofter encourages
shallow root growth, which increases water need for the grass.