Old 25-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Michael Saunby

Default One wasp

"Martin Rand" wrote in message

"Michael Saunby" wrote in message

For those that want to try the experimental method of working out what

you
have by how much the sting hurts - wasp stings hurt a little (rather

more
than a nettle) and a bee sting hurts like hell and the sting is left

behind
with the venom sack still pumping. Not sure what a hornet sting is

like,
probably like a wasp.

Children, don't try this at home if you are susceptible to strong

histamine
reactions...

Probably not a good idea to try it anywhere. Though there was a chap on
the TV - tough American military guy - who allowed himself to be stung by a
variety of things. Hardly a big deal I'd have thought for a healthy adult.
After all these are small creatures that don't dine on humans and the
stings have evolved to do no more that drive you away. The really neat
trick would be to raid a wild bees nest with no protection - that really
would hurt. Though if they're anything like domesticated bees if you took
your time and moved very slowly it should be doable - again, don't try this
at home children (of any age).

But back to the wasp question. Has anyone actually seen any wasps, other
than queens, so far this year? I haven't but I'm prepared to believe it
might just be possible.

Michael Saunby