Old 06-06-2013, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RustyHinge RustyHinge is offline

Default May Mushroom

On 06/06/13 13:16, echinosum wrote:

/snip/

I've also gone "there's some nice mushrooms on that piece of grass" and
then looked at them properly and discovered they were yellow-stainers. I
didn't even have a book to hand. If you have heard of yellow-stainers
and know what to look for, they are very easy to identify. I've only
seen them once again.

I had suspected one of the yellow staining mushrooms: about one person
in ten is affected by them.

Pick a young specimen of a yellow staining mushroom (Agaricus
xanthodermus) nd cut thebase of the stipe: it will turn bright yellow
*immediately*.

Other (Agaricus) mushrooms may turn yellow there, or anywhere else on
handling, but the three thugs (at the last count) discolour at the drop
of a hat.(Bad Hat, of course)

There are at least thirty-six species in the genus in this country.

--
Rusty Hinge