Old 06-06-2013, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] jsparkes2009@googlemail.com is offline

Default May Mushroom

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 1:10:56 AM UTC+1, RustyHinge wrote:
On 03/06/13 13:31, echinosum wrote:

;984238 Wrote:

In article
, wrote:-

Ragnar
wrote:-

Looks like common Field Mushroom to me.-

From the underside, but the top is brown.-

There are several Agaricus like that.

Regards,

Nick Maclaren.

I don't think this is Agaricus. The stem looks rather tough and fibrous

for that, and also it has a well-defined hollow section - now Ag stems

can become hollow with age, but this doesn't look old. Also shiny top

is unusual for Ag. Also it is rather an odd time of year for agaricus

to be appearing, though I have occasionally seen some out-of-season

ones, often big fat ones on grass verges by roads.

Those are most likely to be A. bitorquis, but they tend to have white

caps,sometimes with a little scaly brown.

Also up between

stones is an odd location for an Agaricus, with the exception of A

bitorquis the "pavement mushroom", but it isn't that. Immature Agaricus

have white gills which become dark brown on maturity. If this is an

Agaricus, its gills are surprisingly pale for such a well-expanded cap.

Even if it is an Agaricus, never eat one until its gills have darkened

because you can't be sure until then.

Something fairly small with a brown cap growing up between stones in May

is very unlikely to be of culinary interest. The interesting things

that grow at this time of year are mostly St Georges mushrooms and

morels.

Yes, morels are thin on the ground here, and St. George has come about a

month late,due to the dry spring. (Got some in the fridge.)

--

Rusty Hinge

Lucky you, I am jealous!

Jenny