Old 07-06-2013, 08:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default Sinister looking new vine in my yard

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 05/06/2013 19:29, wrote:
I found this in the thicket above my porch. The place is home to lots of
birds, so I suppose they transported it here. Is it time to get out the
flamethrower?

https://plus.google.com/photos/11180...20312975048591

Thanks in advance

Bob

If you don't want it, pull it up now. Don't wait. The leaves have a sort
of waxy coat and it just shrugs off weedkiller - even full strength
glyphosate has little effect once it gets established.

Yup. I've got some Ivy that I really, realy want to be rid of so about 3
months ago I mixed up a really super duper strong dose of glyphosate
combined with Blackberry/tree herbicide and I put this into a plastic milk
carton and added some detergent to try to get through the waxy coat on the
ivy. I shoved a piece of ivy that is about a foot long into the liquid and
then put a spring loaded peg on it to make sure that the leaves stayed
submerged in the liquid.

I checked this arrangement jsut yesterday and the ivy is still submerged but
the most hopeful things I could say about the ivy is that it looks 'tired'.
The milk carton is under shelter so the herbicide hasn't become adulterated
with rain, but there is not a single sign of death in the filthy ivy.