Old 07-06-2013, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Weedkilling and disposal

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 15:04:41 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

I've just cleared about 40 feet x 20 feet of 4-foot-high brambly stuff and
bindweed from the far end of Mum's garden, either cutting off at ground
level or pulling them out.

I was going to spray the whole area with weedkiller to stop them coming back
but all the ones I looked at in B&Q said to spray onto the leafy parts (I
bought the Weedol Rootkill Plus in the end). So do I have to wait until they
start reappearing before treating?

Also, I've got a huge pile of the stuff I cut off, will it eventually dry
enough to be put in a bonfire without generating huge amounts of smoke?

In general, weed killers need something to work on - above ground
growth. So you will need to allow everything to regrow. There are
products which will essentially prevent regrowth but these also
prevent anything from growing in the soil for at least 6 months.

Any cut vegetation will dry in time provided it is protected from
rain. All fire produces smoke. How much smoke depends on what you're
burning, whether or not it is totally dry all through and how much of
it there is. Check your local Byelaws for anything covering bonfires.
Things are different from place to place - some prohibit fires at all
times, some at certain times/ on certain days or within specific
distances of roads, boundaries etc. And make sure you have a good
hosepipe or plenty of buckets of water handy to extinguish if
necessary!

--
Cheers, Jake