Old 07-06-2013, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Weedkilling and disposal

On 07/06/2013 15:45, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message

In general, weed killers need something to work on - above ground
growth. So you will need to allow everything to regrow. There are
products which will essentially prevent regrowth but these also
prevent anything from growing in the soil for at least 6 months.

So presumably I let it grow a little, treat it and it dies, does this

You will need it to get a couple of feet high again to absorb enough
weedkiller to seriously damage the extensive root system.

mean that *that* particular weed growth is dead and gone and won't be
back? I know similar weeds will still grow back in other places, but
that one's gone, right??

No. A single hit will seriously damage it but not necessarily kill it.
You generally need a combination of weedkiller hit and physical removal
with the cycle repeated two or three times for a complete kill.

Especially deep rooted weeds with a lot of stored energy in the roots
can grow back again as will creeping buttercup, waxy ivy and holly.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown