Old 08-06-2013, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Mulching fruit bushes

I spent a while today crawling under the fruit bushes (red/white/blackcurrants
and gooseberries) and dragging out the weeds, which I swear weren't there a
week ago. Mostly sticky weed (my arms are all mottled red now, yuk) and a bit
of bindweed. Not had much stickyweed before, I think it may be due to Daniel
spreading the seeds last year. :-/

I figured there must be a better way to do this. Satisfying though it was.

What do people normally do to their fruit bushes to supress weeds? I figure
it has to be some kind of mulching, as weed blanket would stop any new shoots
coming up from the base. Although you may want to do that.

What kind of mulch would be effective?