Old 10-06-2013, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default One born every minute?

On 10/06/2013 12:56, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 09/06/2013 22:25, David Hill wrote:
For the benefit of the youngsters in the group who don't remember pre
decimal days
2/3d is about 11p
1/9d is about 9p

not if you take into account inflation David!! I got 5 pounds 10
shillings per week when i started in the Civil Service as a CO.!

With or without inflation 2/3d is about 11p , 1/9d is about 9p.
I'm talking about the equivalent cash value coin for coin.
When I started work I got £3.00 a week working on a farm near Henley,
living in.
Then when I was working on the Parks in Hastings, early 60's, I remember
we had a pay rise of 1/9p (9p) a week.
David @ a still arid part of Swansea Bay