Old 11-06-2013, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Iris 'Tropic Night'

On 11/06/2013 20:46, Janet wrote:
In , says...

Does anyone on urg grow this iris? I bought it with guidelines to plant
out in a free-draining, moist soil in sun/partial shade. I have since
read that it can be grown as a marginal or in a pot of water. Mine has
doubled in size, but has a couple of concertina'd leaves which suggest
it may be short of water. It is currently grown in full sun in much
improved clay soil. I do water, but sparingly. If you have one, how do
you grow it?

Also, it has not flowered since I bought it and planted it last year.
Googling for flowering times, I get a rather mixed message. Some
articles suggest May/June, others suggest June/July. Comparing it with
other irises I grow, there is no sign of bud build-up within the leafy
growth. Usually I can tell about a month ahead if an iris is going to
bloom.

I would be most grateful for any advice.

I grow a lot of sibiricas and the occasional concertina leaf is "normal";
I don't think its connected to thirst

Janet

I see. Thank you, Janet. I had thought that, in common with orchids
and a few other plants, concertina'd leaves indicated want of water as
the leaves expanded. Perhaps not. You don't say if you grow yours in
boggy conditions. However, I shall treat mine to a boggy pot and see
how it responds.

I don't actually remember the label even mentioning "sibirica", so
clearly I need to read up on Iris sibirica in general. I love bog
plants, so discovering I've got one more than I thought does not dismay
me. I definitely need a bigger bog garden.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London