Old 12-06-2013, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Golden Wych Elm

On 12/06/2013 09:13, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 21:40:22 +0200, kay
wrote:

'Janet Tweedy[_2_ Wrote:
;984932']On 10/06/2013 11:22, Steve wrote:-
My daughter has a golden wych elm "lutescens" in her garden-

Golden Elms are lovely. Like a burst of sunshine in the garden.
Fastigate but easily 40 foot or more.

Why were these unappealing to the elm beetle and Dutch Elm disease?

I thought the dutch elm disease beetle didn't live on wych elms?

Looks like you're correct. Wikipedia says "While the species is highly
susceptible to Dutch elm disease, it is less favoured as a host by the
elm bark beetles which act as vectors."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulmus_g...s_and_diseases

The beetles probably take a look at then and think "Looks as if we've
done that one already"