Old 12-06-2013, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Iris 'Tropic Night'

On 12/06/2013 08:17, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 22:25:20 +0100, wrote:

On 11/06/2013 20:46, Janet wrote:
In , says...

Does anyone on urg grow this iris? I bought it with guidelines to plant
out in a free-draining, moist soil in sun/partial shade. I have since
read that it can be grown as a marginal or in a pot of water. Mine has
doubled in size, but has a couple of concertina'd leaves which suggest
it may be short of water. It is currently grown in full sun in much
improved clay soil. I do water, but sparingly. If you have one, how do
you grow it?

Also, it has not flowered since I bought it and planted it last year.
Googling for flowering times, I get a rather mixed message. Some
articles suggest May/June, others suggest June/July. Comparing it with
other irises I grow, there is no sign of bud build-up within the leafy
growth. Usually I can tell about a month ahead if an iris is going to
bloom.

I would be most grateful for any advice.

I grow a lot of sibiricas and the occasional concertina leaf is "normal";
I don't think its connected to thirst

Janet

I see. Thank you, Janet. I had thought that, in common with orchids
and a few other plants, concertina'd leaves indicated want of water as
the leaves expanded. Perhaps not. You don't say if you grow yours in
boggy conditions. However, I shall treat mine to a boggy pot and see
how it responds.

I don't actually remember the label even mentioning "sibirica", so
clearly I need to read up on Iris sibirica in general. I love bog
plants, so discovering I've got one more than I thought does not dismay
me. I definitely need a bigger bog garden.

Just another comment. I had one I. sibirica (Flight of butterflies
IIIRC) that has been in the bog garden for two or three years, but has
only flowered properly for the first time this year, so some varieties
may take a little time to settle in.

Yes, that's certainly possible, Chris. I can't help thinking, though,
that if it's happy enough to double in size, it ought to be feeling
pretty settled. I will experiment a bit and report back.

Thanks for adding that, though. I'm not usually an impatient gardener,
but perhaps I am expecting too much too soon.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London