Old 13-06-2013, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Overlook the obvious

On 2013-06-11 20:43:17 +0100, David Hill said:

It's so easy to overlook the most common of flowers,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psfd47c81a.jpg

David @ the overcast side of Swansea Bay

What a lovely photo, David. That new camera is certainly earning its
keep! By coincidence, I saw a hawthorn in full flower the other day and
it was the most fabulous sight. it was one of the deep pink ones and
really was 'in your face' gorgeous.

I think those intensely deep pink ones are gorgeous, but I've only
ever seen double flowered ones in gcs/nurseries. I prefer single
flowers which are better for insects. Do you remember if 'your'
flowers were double or not?

I'm pretty sure they were double. Now you mention it, I don't recall
seeing any other than double ones in that intense pink. But there's a
wonderful Malus with brone leaves and deep pink flowers called Royalty
and another with slightly lighter pink flowers and bronze leaves called
Liset. They're extremely pretty plants.

Thanks, Sacha. I'm sure I've seen M.'Royalty' in a couple of gcs. The
bronze leaves with those deep pink flowers is very attractive. One day
I should like to find room for one. The garden needs a lot of work just
now. Something for my wishlist.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London