Old 13-06-2013, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Should I support my sapling Rowan with a stake?

On 13/06/2013 18:44, Wendy Tinley wrote:
We have a self-set Mountain Ash in our urban front garden. I would say
it's been growing for about four to five years and is now about seven to
eight feet high. The nearest building is 30 feet away.

My intention is to let it grow as is but both my neighbour and window
cleaner say I should stake it as the wind will make it grow bendy
against the prevailing wind. We are far from exposed but when it is a
bit blustery the sapling does whip around.

My feeling is I shouldn't stake it and I've read two articles on-line
stating that staking is not required.

Does anyone have any opposite opinion?

Thanks in advance.

It's managed very well thus far! Leave it be. It isn't known as
Mountain Ash for nothing - it's used to a bit of exposure.

However, if it's likely trajectory means it will overhang a well-used
path or pavement and if it's likely to thrash passers-by, then by all
means consider a stake, but *not* one that passes through it's roots.

To reiterate, *it* doesn't need a stake; you might need it to have one.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London