#13   Report Post  
Old 14-06-2013, 10:04 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] View Post

180 is potentially *far* more significant than 10.[/i][/color]

In a population of 300 million?

Go and learn a bit of statistics
They're quoting proportions, and by implication saying that the proportion is significantly different from zero. Whether you can tell that the proportion quoted is indeed significantly different from zero depends on the margin of error of that proportion. That can be worked out mathematically and depends on the proportion itself and on the sample size (ie the 10 or the 180). The population size doesn't come into it at all.

It something I think we understand instinctively. If, for example, I buy a particular brand of something, and find it less than satisfactory in some way, it doesn't take many further purchases for me to decide to move permanently to a different brand. I don't stop and think "but this is a tiny sample compared to all the products of this brand that are sitting out on the shelves at the moment".

All I've said above does of course imply that the sample has been chosen in a way to be representative of the population as a whole.